The students of group 1-2D watch attentively how the teacher does the ingredients together, because later they will do it themselves. The kneading will go a bit difficult. That's the teacher's job. And the baking they will also leave it to the teacher. Take a look...The recipe of Johnny Cake sufficient for 10 to 12 pieces.
Preparation time: 2 hours
- 500 g flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon margarine
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 250 ml of full cream milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together with sugar and margarine.
- make a well in the flour mixture and add the milk slowly. Mix until mixture is not sticky.
- Roll the dough into a long strip and cut it into 10 - 12 equal balls.
- Sprinkle some flour on a table and place the balls on it. This avoids that they're going to stick together. Cover the balls with a wet squeezed dry kitchen cloth an leave it for 10 minutes.
- Flat each ball with your finger tips and palms. Cover them for another 25 minutes.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed frying pan over medium-low heat until hot.
- When oil is hot add flattend dough.
- Fry the Johnny Cakes in the hot oil until both sides are golden brown.
- Remove the Johnny cakes and put them on kitchen towels to absorb fat.